Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

BroadcastReceiver OnReceive Timeout

I extend BroadcastReceiver, and in onReceive() I do whatever I need to do. onReceive() has a timeout, from the documentation: there is a timeout of 10 seconds that the system al

Solution 1:

In order to prevent your app from force closing while you are paused on a break point during debugging, try installing the Dev Tools application and enable the Debug App setting which:

Lets you select the application to debug. You do not need to set this to attach a debugger, but setting this value has two effects:

  • It will prevent Android from throwing an error if you pause on a breakpoint for a long time while debugging.

All of the details are here: http://developer.android.com/tools/debugging/debugging-devtools.html

If you are doing something complicated in your onReceive method, then consider having your BroadcastReceiver start a Service and pass along the data it gets from within onReceive. The Service can then do the longer processing.


Solution 2:

I encountered this problem even when in debug mode. It turns out that another broadcast was being sent and wasn't being handled because I was debugging the other broadcast on the main thread. Android considered my process to be in ANR and killed the whole process.

I had to temporarily modify the code to not call the other broadcast while doing my debugging.


Post a Comment for "BroadcastReceiver OnReceive Timeout"